Monday, March 2, 2009

making more of Christ...

Tonight I finally watched the second half of a dvd on hope from a series by Louie Giglio...let me back up.

A few months ago I saw a dvd by Louie Giglio on the greatness of God, the indescrible nature of God...I quickly bought the dvd series which also included one on hope. At that time I did not realize how appropriately that dvd would touch my life. Jason and I watched three of the dvds, but for some reason we never watched the fourth one...entitled The Megaphone of Hope.

Jason watched the dvd last week one night when he was home with Wyatt and told me I had to see it...well, tonight I did.

As tears filled my eyes I felt that the Lord knew that tonight I needed to hear what Louie Giglio had to say. Not because he is a great speaker, which by the way he is; but because I needed to hear it. I needed to hear so clearly a message for the very place I find myself.

In John 16:33 Jesus says: "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Jesus is talking with his disciples foreshadowing his death...that trouble is coming, not a trouble of a light nature...but trouble. The kind of trouble that drops you to your knees, the bottom falls out and life takes a turn you never expected...this trouble comes because we live in a fallen, broken world. A world where trouble comes upon the good, the bad and everyone in between. The innocent, the guilty...and many of us are left to wonder WHY?

The peace comes in the trouble by being in Jesus...not calling on Him when trouble comes, but being in Him. Having a relationship with Him so that when trouble comes...the peace comes from Him.

Yet, the glory of it all is that Jesus has overcome the world...He has won.

That is the statement that rang true...I don't have to wait and see if Jesus overcomes the situations that I find myself, He already has. The glory is found in Him...that through the places I find myself I can glory in Him. I can make more of Him to the world around me.

The circumstances don't change...we are in trouble, the bottom of our world fell out a week ago and now we are left trying to find our way in the darkness again. But, we hold to the anchor...the cross of Christ.

For in the cross Jesus overcame...He showed us love like no other and in His love we can find rest. We cry out to Him, we call out for Him to work and He is...to His will and purpose and most of the time I completely don't get it. But, that's when I realize that I am not God. I am not the one left to decide the futures of the people here...oh if I were what a mess we'd have.

No, my calling...is to make more of Christ. To allow the suffering to come, because it will...but to cling, hold, never let go of the all surpassing knowledge that my God is good...He is love and He has won.

If you haven't heard this song...it is powerful...

Mighty To Save ~ Hillsong

Everyone needs compassion
A love that's never failing
Let mercy fall on me

Everyone needs forgiveness
The kindness of a Savior
The hope of nations

Savior
He can move the mountains
My God is mighty to save
He is mighty to save
Forever
Author of Salvation
He rose & conquered the grave
Jesus conquered the grave

So take me as You find me
All my fears & failures
Fill my life again

I give my life to follow
Everything I believe in
Now I surrender (I surrender)

Savior
He can move the mountains
My God is mighty to save
He is mighty to save
Forever
Author of Salvation
He rose & conquered the grave
Jesus conquered the grave

Shine Your light &
Let the whole world see
We're singing
For the glory
Of the risen King
Jesus

You're the Savior
You can move the mountains
Lord You are mighty to save
You are mighty to save
Forever
Author of Salvation
You rose & conquered the grave
Yes You conquered the grave


The tears fall...the hurt comes...the darkness creeps in...

but, take heart...

my Savior has overcome...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for your family! A beautiful passage you wrote tonight....and I am forever grateful of it.

Colbert Family said...

Dana,
What an amazing post. Thank you for reminding me that God has already won! He is in control and His peace is what gets us through this life and these huge trials that we face. We have seen the Louie Giglio videos too. I want to watch them again after reading your post. We are thinking about you guys often and praying for your sweet Camryn and your family. Thank you so much for replying to my e-mail. I will be responding soon :)

Anonymous said...

Wow- such a powerful statement. Thank you- I needed that. Bet you didn't expect to touch a complete stranger's heart. Very good "He" would say- my faithful servant- even in a time of complete struggle. May you day be wonderful!

Terri said...

Amen!!! That is one of my Favorite song! I love reading your posts...how God is your strength... I am continuing to pray for Camryn.

Erin said...

Hallelujah - our Savior has overcome!! What amazing words of truth, Dana. Thank you for sharing your heart and encouraging all of us, in the midst of your time of trouble.

~HeLeN~ said...

AMEN!

Anonymous said...

Dana,

I have been praying for Camryn and your family. Your words are such a testament to God's truth! Your faith under such difficult circumstances is such an amazing encouragement to fellow believers. We are commited to praying for your family.

Anonymous said...

Dana, I loved the post! A constant reminder that Our father in Heaven has already on the battle. He has overcome every trial that we face and every problem we feel we cannot overcome! I love you all so very much and i am praying for you guys! PLease, Let me know if we can do anything! The prayers are going up daily and its comforting to know HE HEARS!!! I love you! Know that you are in Better hands :)

Anonymous said...

We are still praying and knowing that Camryn is strong and can overcome this! Me and Samantha O. had a quick question we sent to your school e-mail. Today we got our new sub. and shes very nice. We do miss you though and hope to see you all soon! <3 Love~ Cierra Branca