Camryn's doctor called about 3:30 and told me that her marrow was not clear enough for transplant yet. Camryn's marrow was at about 32% leukemia cells in February and now it is at 16%; so the arsenic has cut it in half. A huge praise. Camryn's doctors would really like to have her marrow at a lower percentage in order to move into transplant...especially since she is a relapsed transplant patient. Her doctor explained that the are being overly cautious with Camryn and that they want the best possible marrow in order to go forward to transplant.
I won't lie, I cried on the phone with her doctor...Dr. K was great and just did what she has always done for me since February of 2006. Yes, Dr. K is the only doctor who has walked with us since the beginning and I find great comfort in her. She let me cry and said she was sorry...but, that Camryn was doing well. The arsenic is working and we have to keep thinking positive and moving forward. I asked Dr. K if this was a huge set back...are we moving in the wrong direction? Absolutely not...Camryn is in the majority, most children who have relapsed need more than one treatment to get them ready to move ahead. She apologized for where we were...but, believes that we will get her better.
Jason and I are both disappointed with the results...we were so sure and hopeful that we would move into transplant. Granted transplant is no walk in the park, but it is inevitable and we just would love to move ahead. Move towards getting Camryn well.
As Dr.K said that the doctors want the least amount of leukemia cells in order to beat this...so that her transplant is a success. Which we get...believe me we so understand NOT wanting to walk this relapse road ever again. We understand that another treatment of arsenic is not a bad thing...in fact if the arsenic cuts 16% in half we'll be well on our way to transplant.
All that said...it's hard. Hard to imagine two weeks off, another four weeks of arsenic, another bone marrow aspiration, another two weeks off...yes, another 8 weeks. Two months?...wow, this road is beginning to feel very familiar...it's beginning to feel like 2006 all over again.
But, we know that this is the best scenerio for Camryn...this is what she needs. She needs her body free of as much of that dang leukemia as possible...in order to beat it. Camryn's winning...she is...it just might take a bit longer.
After I got off the phone with Dr.K and called Jason I just sat for a minute wondering how it all came to this...waiting on phone calls from doctors...waiting on schedules...mailboxes full of medical statements...a cabinet full of medical supplies...
Where in the world has our life gone?
The answer is simple...tonight after dinner we took a walk around the block; Camryn riding her bike like a champ and Wyatt pushing his little lawn mower. This is our life now...savoring, cherishing, relishing in every moment with our children. Every moment...hearing their giggles...watching them live, laugh and love the world around them. They do not fully comprehend what is coming in their life...but, for now maybe that's not important. Maybe what is important is that the Lord does...He is giving them the strength for each day, just as he is me.
He is the great I Am...He will be everything we need Him to be. He will meet us, He will hold us...
You saw me wear white, by pale candlelight,~ I Am...Nichole Nordeman
I said forever to what lies ahead
two kids and a dream, with kids that can scream
too much it might seem when it’s two AM
when I am weak, unable to speak,
still I will call You by name.
“Oh Shepherd, Savior, Pasture-maker,
hold on to my hand,” and You say “I am.”
The winds of change,
And circumstance blow in and all around
us so we find a foothold that’s familiar,
And bless the moments that we feel You nearer
Life had begun, I was woven and spun,
You let the angels dance around the throne, who can say when,
But they’ll dance again, when I am free and finally headed home
I will be weak, unable to speak,
still I will call You by name
“Creator, Maker, Life-sustainer,
Comforter, Healer, My Redeemer,
Lord and King, Beginning and
the End, I am, yes, I am.”
I know that the Lord will continue to hold us and He will continue to be what we need Him to be every step of the way. He continues to reveal Himself in ways that are unexpected and ways that allow me to rest in His care...
Because He is my Creator, Maker, Life-sustainer, Comfort, Healer, My Redeemer, Lord and King, Beginning and the End...yes, He is my Great I Am.
He is the One who is holding me still...yes, moment by moment...and He will be the same tomorrow.
I Am.





9 comments:
You have amazing strength, God will carry you through. God Bless
"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint." (NASB) Isaiah 40:31. I know these are words you have read and heard many times, and sometimes it sounds like you hear the same things over and over, but cling to his promises. Remember that God is always near, and for right now he is simply saying "rest" in me. As you said, savor and enjoy every minute. Try to focus on today and not tomorrow. None of us are given tomorrow, anyway. “So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself." Matthew 6:34. Although I do not know you, I am praying for you guys every day.
Sorry you didn't get the results you wanted. I pray that this next round goes well and the end result is better. I think of your family often and keep you guys in my prayers. I can't imagine the road you are walking, but God brings comfort to those who trust in him. I admire your faith in all this. I have no doubt God will continue to guide you as you head into the next 8 weeks. I'll be praying....
just a hug....
i hope you know i wish i could do more. just know i am lifting you up.
love you sweet sister. so much.
Such strength, sweetheart. I'm praying for you all.
Cxx
I'm sorry you didn't get the results you wanted for Camryn. Just beginning to be a blog reader and I know your faith is strong.
"Be still and know I Am"
Love and Prayers
A fellow leukemia Mom
I am so sad that you did not get the go-ahead to move to transplant now. It is so hard to watch you walk this path- I admire you so much for your strength and your faith. Your family is amazing. You are all in my prayers...(((hugs)))
i happened on your blog from Kelly's blog and I was just reading about your sweet girl and wanted you to know that I have added her to my prayer list. Crazy to be weeping for a little girl that I do not know but your story has so moved me. I will pray for her counts to go down so you can move ahead to a BMT and full recovery.
I found your blog through Kelly's Corner and wanted to tell you that I have a cousin who battled Leukemia twice and like Camryn had 2 bone marrow transplants. He is now in his 40s with a beautiful baby daughter :o) Stay positive - your little girl will get through this and have a wonderful life for you all to enjoy.
Leona Lewis has a beautiful song called Footprints in the Sand, which you should check out on Youtube if you are not familiar with. It has great words when you are feeling alone.
I will be saving this blog to see how Camryn and your family are doing.
Katie (Texas)
Post a Comment