Monday, February 15, 2010

temporary home...

Not quite sure I have the words...

This past weekend was so incredibly bittersweet. Bitter in having to watch leukemia rob my sweet aunt of her strength. Sweet in getting to spend some dear time with her and in essence say...until heaven.

I adore my aunt, truly she means so much to me. And honestly I admit that I have over the course of my life taken her for granted...guess I just always assumed she would always be there. That forever she would be there to smile at me and I would always here that unmistakable voice...

There is much to be thankful for in my life and one of the most precious blessings is truly the days, moments and memories I have with her. So this weekend it was precious to be able to see her and talk with her for the last time. To tell her how much I love her and how thankful I am for her.

She has given me much and I am so grateful for the almost thirty-five years she has invested in my life...


Old man, hospital bed
The room is filled with people he loves
And he whispers don't cry for me
I'll see you all someday
He looks up and says "I can see God's face."

"This is my temporary Home
It's not where I belong
Windows and rooms that I'm passin' through
This was just a stop,on the way To where I'm going
I'm not afraid because I know this was
My temporary home."

This is our temporary home ~ Carrie Underwood


For all that my aunt has taught me, probably most poignant is about her incredible love of Jesus, her Lord. While I was sitting in her living room my cousin handed me an article my aunt had written about her journey with AML. As I read tears filled my eyes, because she was not writing about how unfair it was; but rather about growing closer to her Lord and gaining strength from him. Amazing words...words that rang so true in my heart as my little girl journeys with APML.

This is her temporary home...she is ready to see her Jesus and experience the glory of heaven. But, as I write this I miss her already...guess that's the struggle that inasmuch as it is her temporary home it is mine too, but I don't get to go home yet.

Until heaven Aunt Frankie...I love you.

2 comments:

KK said...

I know what you mean. And that song gets me every time. I am just passing through and need to remember that!

Devon said...

holding on to that...knowing this is not the end.