We are two days away from a week since transplant, crazy how quickly time goes and yet how slowly...truly a paradox. One minute I cannot even fathom that we are five days post-transplant and the next minute I feel like it was years ago. Maybe because the first transplant was years ago and I find myself daily thinking, remembering, reliving those days...in light of these days. Sometimes it's hard to separate the two.
Today has been a bit emotional, maybe it's the fact that both Jason and I are battling headaches and just tired so our emotions are running a little on edge...really there probably are a million reasons why.
Wyatt had a really rough time going to bed last night, he cried and cried as he misses his best friend. It's hard to know how to comfort him and help him understand...I feel like we are doing the best we can, but sometimes it just does not feel good enough. As Wyatt and I were getting ready this morning he was struggling some more...I don't blame him. His little world has been turned upside down...he never gets to be with his family together outside of a hospital room. His sister isn't home playing with him, loving on him and being his best friend...no she's far away to him. As I dropped Wyatt off at my parent's house he did okay, wasn't thrilled but did okay...my heart is heavy for Wyatt. People keep telling me he won't remember...but, it's hard to rationalize all of that in our hearts. I told myself the same thing two-and-a-half years ago and I'm finding that my heart is having a hard time really believing it.
Camryn continues to be about the same...struggling with her throat and mouth sores. I have noticed that she is pushing her pain button less and less...maybe she's starting to feel better? Not sure. Currently she is still fever free which is wonderful...we pray this continues. As of right now Camryn's doctors are very pleased with how she is doing...she continues to do what they expect. We keep praying that Wyatt's juice continues to work and work quickly!
We gave Camryn her daily bath and line change today...her hair has begun falling out and I won't lie it is difficult. Jason and I knew this was inevitable, but it hurts nonetheless. I decided to try to wash it today as it was a mess. We gently washed it as best we could, but due to the combination of falling out and being knotted up by laying in bed it proved to be very difficult. I swallowed hard and asked Jason if we should just cut it...it's falling out at a rapid rate and maybe it would be easier if it were shorter? Jason went to ask Barb a nurse who is now our friend for advice and scissors...he came back with scissors in hand. And I went on to cut my little girl's hair...with tears streaming down my face. I sobbed as Jason put his arm around me...and just held me.
Camryn unlike me did fine...she took it as she does almost everything, just in stride. She knew her hair would fall out...but, she also knows it will come back in time. We have pictures hanging in our home of Camryn without hair and Camryn with her hair growing back...she knows it will be okay.
I guess for me it just is a visual I am not quite ready for...it's hard for a parent of a child with cancer because their beautiful bald heads give them away and sometimes people aren't very gentle with their comments. I guess as much as Camryn's hair meant for me that she was better...her bald little head means she is sick and it hurts.
Although I will say that Camryn is BEAUTIFUL...absolutely beautiful.
With every passing day we are one day closer to the day of engraftment...one day closer to those white cells coming in...one day closer...
Closer to Camryn feeling better.
Thank you for praying for us...for praying for Camryn, Wyatt and us. We are holding up alright, day by day.
Again...
He will never let go...
Trusting, believing and hoping in that today, tomorrow and the days to come.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





14 comments:
I check every day to see how you all are doing and what I can pray for. This was an emotional post to read and please know I am praying here in Maryland. I am sure that Cam is beautiful with or without hair. Such hard things to go through for you; all of it that you have shared with us is hard right now. Things will get better!
Love,
carla in Maryland
I am sure she is as beautiful as ever...inside AND out!
praying in Ohio :)
Praying for your sweet family. I'm so sorry you're having to experience this and I truly can't fathom the depths of your pain. I hope Wyatt's 'juice' brings healing quickly for your baby girl!
We have never stopped praying for Camryn. Your post today is very emotional, and I can't even begin to imagine what it is like. Praying that Wyatt's juice kicks in quickly and Camryn will be back home with her best friend and hero. Also praying that Wyatt will be strong and understand.
Camryn will beat this. I will continue to pray for her.
We are praying....
This was a very emotional post! Praying for you and your husband as you face this, for Camryn who is already so strong to feel better, and for sweet Wyatt too! I know she looks beautiful!
I am here thru a series of blogs I read almost daily. Have been coming daily since radiation, I think.
My daughter has never been more ill than ear infections or strep, so I can't fathom the emotions you are feeling.
I truly believe that blogging is cathartic. It brings people together in prayer that will never meet on this Earth. It is people reaching out to one another as God designed. I think you are so blessed that Wyatt was a match for Camryn, not once but twice. God is good. I'm sorry there is a twice, but God is taking care of you and you will be a family outside that room soon. You have your counter going, telling you how fast that day is coming. Prayers continue for you & all your family. :)
+
This post made me cry...I can imagine how emotional and symbolic it would be to cut Camryn's hair. She is beautiful with or without hair of course...that's beside the point! Praying for you guys on a daily basis and hoping that this path becomes easier for you, that Camryn heals quickly and well, and that your family is reunited again...and for good! Sending you lots of love.
Love,
Erika
i read this post with tears in my own eyes - my heart breaks for the journey you all are being asked to go through yet again - it seems so unfair and we dont understand why God allows this but we know he does because he wants to make something beautiful out of it. Camryn is beautiful with or without hair he beautiful comes from within and is shines right on through... saying a special pray today for your little guy. So glad that today is a new day, a new day full of possibilities!!
Oh what a beautiful family you have...I am so sorry you have to go through this difficult time!
praying in NY
As a mother my heart hurts for you and your family. I am so sorry you have to go through this. Your kids are so sweet and I am inspired by Miss Camryn's courage and optimism and little Wyatt's selflessness and love for his sister. If we could all be more like these two the world would be a much happier place. Thank you for sharing this journey with all of us, even on the hard days, and give your kids a hug from a mom in Riverton, UT that thinks they're amazing. I am praying for you all...
Hi my name is Danielle. I am new to your blog within the last week, adn have been reading as much older posts as possible. My heart goes out to all of you and I pray for you often. My son has had some chronic medical issues and htey actually believed he had leukemia a year ago this past january, he Praise God did not. But the fears that passed through us in those days are so vivid for me. And as we continue to deal with his health issues, I am so thankful for each day we have with him that he is happy and feels loved. Being healthy and feeling good is a blessing that so many take for granted. We don't anymore. WE know that each day is truly a blessing, and I pray that God continues to carry you all through this time, and that He strengthens you and gives you such peace and joy through it all. And I pray for little Wyatt, and for your mommy's heart leaving her baby so often, that is a struggle I too have. God bless you! You are in my prayers...
I have been keeping up with your posts but havent posted a comment for a day or two. I had tears in my eyes reading this one because it really did make think even more how I would feel if it was my six year old daughter going through this and how the losing hair is such an obvious outward sign of what is going on inside.
BUT as her hair will grow back so will her body be healed and what a glorious day that will be!
Katie :o)
Post a Comment