Monday, June 8, 2009

day +4...comforts

Monday always marks the beginning of another week in the hospital, two weeks down...

As slow as the weekends are, magnify that a bunch and you get a Monday morning in the hospital. All the doctors rounding, all the support staff making their visits all in the morning...it honestly gets a little overwhelming.

Camryn did well with the shift change Sunday night and welcomed Nurse Joe back, she really likes him, plus Supa was on as well so that was a welcomed smile. Camryn did well with her shot as it has become her nightly routine, she doesn't fight it much anymore...just takes it in stride. Although she really likes the stickers Joe gives her afterwards! :) Camryn's weight is also holding relatively steady...one of the things they watch with transplant patients is extreme weight loss or gain. As of right now, Camryn is hovering around her norm...give or take a little bit. Camryn had a better night sleeping as the doctors have slowed down her fluids somewhat...so the bathroom trips were stretched to every 3 hours instead of 2. That extra hour really does help. She was able to rest comfortably and her pulse ox did not go off once! That is a record I believe. All in all is was as good of a night as one can have in the hospital.

This morning it felt like Grand Central Station in Cam's room and I didn't like it. I'm hoping that tomorrow might be better...she just does not feel well and wanting to interact is so not her thing right now. Maybe in a week or two. Camryn was not all that happy when Dr. M and Dr. W came to see her, we were getting ready to do mouth care and it was a battle...thankfully Dr. M and Dr. W lovingly gave Camryn the space and the encouragement she needed. They were so very sweet to her and again reassured us that everything she is experiencing is expected...and they also told us that her kidney and liver tests look good. Praise the Lord! Cam has also been fever free since Thursday morning which is a HUGE praise! If we can get through this week without major fevers that would be awesome...praying!

Grandma and Papa came down to visit and Cam enjoyed taking a nap in Grandma's lap...she's not to social, but she does like to have company. This afternoon she perked up a bit and played Play-doh with Daddy as it's Daddy's night to stay with our girl. The afternoons and evenings are Cam's best time of the day...she seems to just feel better. It's nice.

I am home with Wyatt tonight and it is wonderful...Wyatt provides such a ray of sunshine for my heart. I won't lie the last two days at the hospital have been draining, it is tough on my heart to see Camryn so miserable. So being home with Wyatt has been much needed...

Wyatt played some baseball, drew me some elephant pictures, played race cars and just let me love on him and smile. It is incredibly difficult to be home without Camryn...her room is dark and just lonely, but Wyatt certainly helps us focus on goodness instead of sadness. He forces me not to wallow and be sad all the time while I'm home...he brings a sense of hopefulness and that is something that is so needed now.

Today as Jason and I were walking back from getting some lunch I wanted to stop at the cookie shop to get something...as I was eating my cookie Jason says, "Comfort food?" "Yes, why yes it is." And that got me thinking about our comforts...the things that make the hard days just a little easier...

Yellow Blankie is Camryn's #1 comfort...it sleeps with her, covers her eyes during her shots, helps make even the worse moment a tad okay.

Blue Blankie is Wyatt's #1 comfort...it travels with him everywhere these days, he needs it as his world is quite upside down.

And I think for Jason and me it's our Savior...it's finding our rest in Him. Last night as I tucked Cam in and laid down on the chair bed I cried and prayed and cried...and peacefully I found myself asleep. Finding our comfort in Him...and what He provides...

The doctors, the nurses, the visitors, the countless people at the hospital who get it...they are a huge comfort.

And then He gives more of Himself...

And more...

Yes, today is day +4...four days post-transplant and tomorrow will be 5, then 6, 7, 8,9...and He will carry us until we get further...100, 200, 300 and a year...and even more.

He will be our comfort until the day He makes all things complete, new and whole...

Until that day we will count in a positive direction, believing...hoping...surviving.

6 comments:

Natalie♥ said...

I am a stranger to your blog but I read it everyday. I want you to know how much I look up to you. You are amazing and your faith is unbelievable. I want to be more like you. I am so sorry you have to go through this and that your little girl has to suffer. I cannot even imagine the pain you feel for her. I have three little girls and it would be so hard for me. I know the Lord is by your side, he has to be. I beleive in miracles and I will pray for you and your sweet baby girl that she gets well. This will work out with the faith that you have, keep strong and know that you have influenced many.

Heather Crawley said...

I have been reading your blog for a couple of months now and just wanted to tell you this morning that you are loved and being prayed for every day. We have not walked the road you are walking, but we do have a chronically ill child and have been hospitalized in isolation, so we have a small, very small taste of what you are experiencing. Continue to rest in God's hands and know that there are people out here praying for Camryn and your family.

Edward said...

I'm glad to see Camryn is going well and hanging in there. I definitely know that this whole process is hard on your whole family. Stay strong. I love reading your blog, it renews my faith a little bit each day. See you soon.

Nurse Michelle ;)

Wilson Family said...

Love your heart. You are an amazing person.

Katie Spinks said...

what a wonderful comfort that is to rest in his big warm loving arms and thats where he wants you - daily praying for you 4!!

Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog for some time now. I have never commented, just prayed for you and your family daily. However, today I felt compelled to leave you a comment. My heart just aches for you as I read your posts. I just sit in front of my computer with tears streaming down my face, crying out to God to bring comfort, peace, and healing to your precious family. Please know that I lift you up in prayer daily and I am praying for complete healing for your sweet daughter Camryn. You faith is such an inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing this difficult journey with us, I pray that others will see your tremendous amount of faith and grow nearer to out Lord and Savior.