Sunday, June 28, 2009

day +24...believe it

This was going to be a big day...oral meds...but after the great night's sleep Camryn got I felt confident we'd be okay. Camryn slept through the entire night...not once did she get up to go to the bathroom. Oh my goodness, she just slept so soundly and peacefully...unlike me. I heard every noise and movement anticipating Camryn having to go to the bathroom...but, I am thankful she slept so well, what a blessing.

We started the morning well...got some breakfast. Camryn didn't feel much like eating, but we chatted and worked and finally got a bowl of cereal eaten. Then Nurse Bridget brought in the first round of oral meds...oh Camryn was having none of that. But we had to get them done...it's really the worst to have to force your child to do something they HATE doing.

Dr. M and Dr. P came in to talk to Camryn...Dr. M walks in and says, "Is beautiful Camryn here?" To which Camryn said "YES and I'm free." A few minutes earlier she was hep locked off her IV pole. No more pole...it was fantastic. Cam was jumping, walking, moving all around her room...freedom. Dr. M chatted with Camryn and then with me...He said we are on target to go home tomorrow! We will then follow up in clinic on Tuesday just to touch base to make sure all is well. We talked through some GVH issues and things and it was just wonderful to hear and see the confidence that Dr. M has in Camryn's progress...to see him just smile when talking about how well she is doing was just awesome!! Truly, my heart just found peace...Camryn is doing well. We have a long road ahead...but it is a road as an out-patient.

After Dr. M talked with Camryn and assured her home was coming...I got Camryn to finally take her cyclosporin and she was so worked up and really crazy that she threw it all back up. Great...not such a good start. We called Nurse Bridget ordered more meds to try again. In the in between time while waiting for the meds to come from pharmacy Camryn and I took a walk...yes we finally got to leave her room. It was darling...I took pictures, but left the camera with Jason so he could get pictures of Cam with her favorite nurses, so I'll post them later. Camryn and I walked to the nurse's station, chatted with all the nurses and Dr. M came out of another room and asked her if she was going to go outside and see the blue sky...and Camryn was thrilled. We walked out the locked hallway door...to the elevators...down to the first floor and looked around and then outside. Oh Camryn was darling totally oblivious to the stares of the other people at the little bald girl with a mask on...she was living life to the fullest.

We came back upstairs and Wyatt and Daddy got there...Camryn was so excited to see them...we then tried the meds again. Yep, threw up everywhere...sigh...this was going to take awhile. Thankfully Nurse Bridget was way great about everything and helped us out so much...it was wonderful.

Finally after eating some lunch and just getting her mind on something else we got her meds down...and they stayed down! So that was a major hurdle crossed...now we have to do meds a lot and there will be lots of fights I'm sure as Camryn wants nothing to do with meds...but, I know we are doing the right thing...it's just hard. But, you know the maker of meds really needs to figure out ways to make them taste better. Honestly some of the stuff Camryn has to get down is awful, just awful. But Jason and I are so proud of her today...she's done her best and that's all we can ask.

I left later this afternoon to meet up with my sister, my niece and mom to deep clean Camryn's room...the rest of our house is very clean, but Camryn's room as sat for five weeks so we cleaned and cleaned. Oh how wonderful it looks now...simply wonderful! After we got Cam's room cleaned I headed out to get groceries and a few other things, it was a long day, but thankfully we are ready for Camryn to come home.

Tonight is hopefully our last night apart and I can hardly believe it. I can hardly believe tomorrow I will drive down to UCLA alone and come home with Jay & Cam...my eyes tear up just thinking about it. We've missed our girl at home...we've missed the sound of Camryn throughout the rooms...and she's coming home...

Tomorrow is Camryn's homecoming...Praising the Lord for making it all possible. Praising Him for walking with Camryn through some hard days, some scary moments, and holding her, protecting her and loving her.

And you know who is probably the most excited??? Wyatt. He is so thrilled that his best friend is coming home tomorrow...oh the joy!

Believe it...Camryn is coming home!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My son is a heart transplant recipient. He had so much trouble with the cyclo at the beginning and he was 17 !!!! Poor guy couldn't keep it down for beans ! Our wonderful transplant doctor recommended taking it with ICE cold drinks - he always took it with a smoothie, milkshake etc. The milk part helps to cut the awfully nasty taste. She also said to open it up and air it out at least 12 hours. So, we'd give one dose and open the next to "air" out.

Thankfully my Jacob is now 18 months post transplant and doing well, Thank GOD ! He no longer has to air out his cyclo and actually pops around 8 or 9 pills in one swallow - I don't know how he does it - but he does. The cyclo still stinks, but I guess he's gotten used to it. Although he does say he "burps" up skunk smell all day - charming............

I've been following your precious daughters journey and she is in my prayers.

gena in nj

Erika said...

This is just amazing news!!!!! I am SOOOOO happy for you guys! Go Camryn!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you! I will continue to pray, and can't wait to see more pictures!!

God bless you.

Carla in Maryland

Anonymous said...

fantastic!! So happy for your family.

-still praying in ga

Mommato4miracles said...

Praising God for your fantastic news! Can't wait to see pics of her wonderful homecoming. Praying that the cyclosporin will not mess with her tummy, and that there will be no more episodes of vomiting after she takes her meds.

Tiffany Lockette said...

I am so happy for you guys. Welcome home Camryn, you so deserve to be home and live a long and healthy life. Enjoy being home and I will continue to pray for all of you.

rameelin said...

Praising the Lord for this day! What a great victory we have in Jesus. Camryn is a fighter and I clearly see her strength comes from the Lord (and her mama). I'm praying for you guys. Thankful for today and the hurdles you are crossing!!! Cant wait to hear an update from home! ♥

Amee said...

SO excited for you guys!!

Daberath said...

I hadn't read the blog over the weekend and was VERY suprised, happy, and thankful to hear she is coming home!!! Happy Homecoming Day Camryn! YAY for answered prayers. Praying that things continue to look up!! Enjoy your day together :)

Shelly said...

SO thrilled Camryn is coming home - enjoy your day together!

aprilmclean said...

Praise God! He is SOO holy and SO good! Praise Jesus for His wonderful work!!!

I have been praying for you and your precious Camryn and it is SO great to read, every day, what a great work God is doing in your life and in Camryn's. I rejoice with you! God is SO good!

Katie said...

Wow, today is the day. You might even be home or on your way as I type this message. Hopefully there will be a little package arriving too for the big homecoming:o)
I really hope the medicine taking gets easier. From what Gena in nj said it sounds awful so hope you can figure out the trick to make it easier on all of you.

Here's to the next chapter of the Dynamic Duo!!
Katie :o)

Stacia said...

So happy for you all!

God Bless!!

Wilson Family said...

I missed a couple days of blog time... and all of a sudden you are home?! I am so excited for you guys! Love you lots!

Lost in Space said...

So happy for your family!! I'll bet there are lots of little giggles at your house tomorrow night. (-;