Saturday, June 27, 2009

day +23...WHAT?!?!?!

The title is courtesy of my sister Dev's response when I texted her this...

Great news...Looks like Cam is going home early this week. Amazing!!!

I thought her response was fitting, because honestly it's what my heart is saying too...WHAT?!?!

Let me catch you up...

This morning Jason called and said that Camryn's counts were much the same...sigh. But, Dr.M was on service this morning so both Jason and I were anxious to hear what his take on Camryn's counts and what his thoughts were on how much longer we'd be living our hospital life.

As we were getting settled this morning Camryn's nurse came in from rounds and said to me and Jason I've got some great news...and motions for one of us to come out in the hallway to talk. I was confused, thought maybe it was something about Cam's IV nutrition or meds...so I went out in the hallway. Camryn's nurse got a huge smile and said I just came back from rounds and the doctors are talking about sending you guys home on Monday...WHAT?!?! She said I didn't want to say anything in front of Camryn in case something prolongs it a bit, but I wanted you guys to know, but Dr.M would be rounding and explain things further.

I must admit I was beyond shocked! After the week we've had with Camryn's counts moving so very slowly I found it just amazing that going home was even part of the talk of today, let alone this week. Because various people had said things like ANC 500 for 3 consecutive days or even ANC 1000 for 3 consecutive days. Well, I don't think I need to tell you that at the rate Camryn's counts are going that was a long way off...unless of course Camryn's numbers took a HUGE jump. So, I came in looked at Jason and said there's talk of Monday, to which he looked at me like I was crazy.

So we waited to talk to Dr.M.

When Dr.M walked in he said, "Well, why are you guys still here?" To which I replied, "No one has sent us home yet." He smiled and said, "Well, I am!"...WHAT?!?!

Dr.M went on to explain that after looking over Camryn's counts he feels confident that he counts are there, just coming slowly, but her monocytes are extremely high and her netraphils are coming...in time. But, that Camryn is too healthy to be here. So, they have completely discontinued Camryn's IV nutrition and have written orders for her meds to be changed over to oral. Dr.M then went over to where Camryn was sitting coloring and talked with her one on one about what she needed to do to go home. She needed to take her meds, eat and drink, mouth care...all things that she agreed to. He chatted with her some more and just made her smile. We talked some more about odds and ends of meds and such...he explained that they will check her cyclosporin levels on Monday morning, because IV med and oral med have different absorption and that has to be checked. He went on to say that the only thing that could hold us up would be if when changing over to oral cyclosporin her gvh flares up; he doesn't foresee this happening, but it is a possibility. So we are hopeful that is not the case and everything goes smoothly when changing meds.

Can you believe it??? We can't.

We've spent much of today figuring out how to get the things done we need to for Camryn's homecoming. We need to get her room cleaned, organized...because you see little brother Wyatt has totally enjoyed going in there and checking out his sister's things. Plus, we have to deep clean things...just to get things clean and ready for our girl to come home. Plus, we need to make a serious trip to the grocery store...we've been eating most of our meals out these days and once Camryn comes home it will be all home cooked meals for us. No complaints there...just as long as Cam's home that's all that matters.

So today we've been encouraging Camryn to eat and drink...also get her other things done. She's pretty cooperative with the motivation of HOME!

We are so very thankful...beyond thankful. Hearing that Camryn is doing so well is amazing...but not only that just knowing that we'll be under one roof soon is amazing!

Can't wait to tell Wyatt! He's going to be so excited to know that his sister is coming home.

Thank you for praying for us...we still have a long ways to go in the whole recovery process, but getting home is huge for our family. Just to be together and home is exciting. It will be amazing to not have to be divided...

Oh, the smiles on our faces today...

And in the midst of all of the joy...I am thankful.

Thankful to the Lord for what he does...How he leaves us amazed.

AMAZING!

20 comments:

Devon said...

i've already said it today but YAY!!! so beyond thrilled, happy, excited for you.

relish in your good news...you've earned it! and praying you get all you need to get done before cam gets home....

yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Debbie said...

Praise the Lord and Glory to God!!! I am so excited for all of you. Praying that the rest of the weekend is uneventful and restful.

much love and many prayers,
Debbie

Shalady said...

WHOOT WHOOT!!!

GO CAMRYN GO!!!!

What a blessing this is!

HORRAY!!!

Anonymous said...

Glory to God! I am happy beyond belief. When you go home, may you continue to find your sufficiency in I AM! Amen.

Love, Evah.

suzanne said...

WOW!!! What amazing news to read today!!! Keep up the great work Camryn (and Mom, Dad and Wyatt too) YAY God :)

Niki said...

What fantastic News!!! Way to go Camryn!!

Shannon said...

Wonderful news:)

Katie VanderDonk said...

That is fantastic news, great to hear that home is not only within your reach, but in your grasp. I am thinking and praying that for Camryn, Wyatt and your family as you work towards renewing Camryns health. Keep making those baby steps and she will get better.

I'm sure Camryn's health will strive when she is home, in the comfort of her own environment.

We are thinking of you. Contratulations of reaching this milestone and overcoming that hurdle.
xoxoxox

Anonymous said...

Amazing! I am so happy for your family.

Kat(ie) said...

my heart is SO happy for you all!


:-)

love you!

Bobbie said...

God is Good, God is Love, God is Peace, God is strength...this is my daily montra. I am so happy for Camryn and for your family! That is such wonderful news. I wanted to see you again when we re-admit to perhaps have more time to get to know you and your family but that can wait......you have to celebrate and enjoy. Wonderful news..I am so happy for you all. Much Love, Bobbie Doyle

Claire said...

What wonderful news! Praise Jesus!

Cxx

Anonymous said...

Yes, Yes,Yes!!!!!! This has made my day, too! So, I will be praying, and checking the blog for updates! God bless you! I am thrilled fro each of you.

Carla from Maryland

Anonymous said...

Praise God!!!
Woohoo!

Katie said...

Wow, what a difference one day can make - from feeling like home is a long way away to this week!!!

How totally exciting! I am sure that Camryn's health will just go from strength to strength once she is back home!

Will be thinking about you all!!
Katie :o)

Anonymous said...

Very good news.

InDeeds said...

YAY!

Lost in Space said...

Completely amazing news!! So happy that she is doing so well and that you all will be back home together so soon!!!

Go Camryn!!

Sheryl From Colorado said...

Oh how He amazes us with new promises everyday..enjoy your home-going.

........ said...

Yippee!!!! I am so happy for all of you!!!