Thursday, June 4, 2009

6.4.09

Second time is a charm right? Well, today marked our second time...funny how I wondered if it would be different this time around? Would it be as meaningful as the first?

To say that Jason and I were in a fog today would be an understatement...I think we both felt emotionally and physically drained, but we kept going...keep fighting within ourselves.

Wyatt got here bright and early 4:45am to be exact...waited around in admitting and then in pre-op. I can't say he didn't put up a fuss, but all in all he did well considering this was all brand new. The team of doctors and nurses that worked with Wyatt were AMAZING! I can't say it enough...they took such sweet care of our little boy, it brought me to tears. As we kissed Wyatt good-bye and turned there stood Dr. M and Dr. A...and I knew that the Lord had provided, the right people for today. I won't lie tears streamed down my face as we walked out of the OR area and back to the elevators to wait in Camryn's room. Everything was full of meaning...everything.

We got back up to Camryn's room and she was doing okay...really cranky as she didn't feel good with the fever and she was refusing to take any oral meds. It's much harder convincing a five-year-old what needs to be done. Our nurse today was Michelle and I have to say that I was so happy to see her this morning. I had prayed and asked that the Lord put the right people where they were needed today and Michelle was the BEST! Her and I told Camryn that she had to take her meds when Wyatt's juice came...no fighting and Camryn agreed.

As we waited both sets of our parents were here with us...it was a tremendous support to Jason and I to have them here. They took turns watching Wyatt and Camryn and it just felt so good to have them with us. I am thankful today for our parents...it's days like this that I thank the Lord that our parents are here and such a huge support to us.

Also as we waited my phone was going off with text messages from friends and family...today Jason and I felt a support and love that can only be from the Lord. He provided the right things at the right times...never leaving us lacking, but always full.

Pretty soon Dr.M came through Camryn's door with a smile on his face and I knew that all was well...he explained that Wyatt did great. He also went on to explain that Wyatt's marrow was incredibly rich and just great. They worked slowly as to insure that both Wyatt and Camryn were getting the best. Not wanting to put Wyatt in harm's way and wanting the absolute best marrow harvest possible for Camryn. To say that I admire Camryn and Wyatt's team of doctors and nurses would be an understatement...they are truly gifts.

Dr. M walked us down to the recovery room to see Wyatt...my heart ached as we walked through the door and I heard him crying. I raced over to him and he was so incredibly agitated...he was going nuts. The nurses assured me he was okay, but he was definitely not liking any part of this. He wanted his IV out...He torn off his blood pressure cuff...He wanted nothing to do with his hospital gown. Yep, he was fighting mad...so much like my Wy. One thing that I love about Wyatt's personality is that he doesn't settle...He has definite opinions and I like that in our son. Finally the nurse gave him some drugs and he was in lala land before too long.

I went back up to Camryn and waited...

Wyatt got upstairs to his room and our parents too over watching him while Jason and I waited with Camryn...

Around 11:30 we got word that it Wyatt's marrow would be here in 30 minutes...so we got everything together and waited. Pretty soon a lab tech carrying a blue igloo came walking in...pulled out a bag of 181 mls of Wyatt's marrow and I just teared up. There is the coolest sticker on the bag and thanks to a tip from reading Holly's blog I asked for the sticker...the sticker read:

Recipient's Name: Camryn Lee Mikels

Donor's Name: Wyatt Mikels

Yep, that was a keeper for sure. As Nurse Michelle and the doctors got settled they hooked up Wyatt's juice and by gravity transfused it into Camryn's line...it was awesome! Hard to fathom that just hours early that "juice" was in Wy...totally amazing. Throughout transplant they watched Camryn like a hawk...temperatures and blood pressure every 5 minutes, she was doing great. As time went on the doctors commented that her blood pressure was holding rock steady...she was doing awesome. The transfusion started at 12:09pm and ended at 12:33pm...24 minutes...and Camryn did AWESOME!!!

The doctors smiled and said this was an uneventful transplant which is exactly what we like...good! Camryn rested for hours afterwards and just looked so peaceful. Her fever began to subside as well, which was welcomed news. As we got Camryn settled and Wyatt was sleeping Dr. G looked at us and said you need to get something to eat and take a break; Jason and I had both been going since around 3am. We took a walk and got some lunch and just took a deep breath...it's over and now we wait.

Wyatt finally woke up and ate and did all the things he needed too...Camryn woke up too and they got to hang out for the evening. Words don't capture seeing the two of them in bed together...the story behind them is just too deep. My eyes just welled up with tears...my kids...they did it.

Tonight they are both exhausted and resting...Jason and I are too. And yet my mind is whirling with the enormity of today...there was build up since February and now here we are.

We wait...

And tonight as I prepare to put today behind us I am reminded of Isaiah chapter 40...we will wait on the Lord and He will renew our strength...we will hope in Him.

Today was Camryn's third birthday of sorts...and honestly, it couldn't have been more blessed...

The Lord proved His goodness time and time again...

God is good.

13 comments:

Kara said...

i am in tears praising God for this wonderful news!
-kara

Jarka said...

God is the best :)
I´m so happy that everything went well...I keep praying for all of you :)

Sara said...

Oh, God is soooo Good!!! Kisses for your kids from Italy.
Sara, Edoardo, Carlo.

Niki said...

Praising God for everything that went well! You have two amazing children :)

Praying for some rest for you and patience during this time of waiting.

Diana said...

Praising God with you for such a good day yesterday. Still praying for the rest of your journey. God bless you all.

Anonymous said...

My son is a heart transplant recipient. He received his gift of life 4 days after his 17th bday. He only had blood transfused from his brothers, a cousin and one very, very dear friend... more gifts. Every month his brothers take turns donating blood for him "just in case." He is 1 year 5.5 months post transplant.

I have been following your blog and rejoicing and crying with you each step of the way. May God bless your sweet little ones as they deepen the bond between themselves and work towards camryn's perfect health.

Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

gena in nj

Kerri said...

I am in tears reading yor post. YEAH for the day to have gone so well! Still I pray for Wy & Camryn! (and you & jason too!)
God Bless!!!!
Kerri Spurlin

Katie Spinks said...

oh God is so good - so happy to hear a great report. Will continue to pray!! you have amazing kids!!

Daberath said...

I agree...God IS good...and faithful. I hope he continues to meet your every need.

Anonymous said...

God is sooooooo good.

As I read the amazing love story of your children, I am reminded of our Father's deep love for us. He gave His beloved Son to us, there's nothing He can withhold from us. May you all live to tell of His wonderous deeds among you.

Fianlly, thanks sooooo much for keeping us abreast every step of the way.

praying,

Evah.

Unknown said...

Oh Dana,

I am so glad that everything went well yesterday that is just totally amazing. I am still praying for all of you, that everything will keep progressing in a positive way. God is good!

Mommyof2Miracles said...

God is so amazing!!! Your children are also amazing. I'm so glad that everything went well.

Shalady said...

I can't thank you enough for sharing with us! Praise God for the awesome news. Today was evidence that God was in control this whole time. Even down to the "little" things like having the doctors/nurses that you wanted! Talk about seeing Him with you! I still have goosebumps!!
Our prayers are still for each of you as we count the next 100 days! May Wyatt have a speedy recovery and Camryn's body do all the things it should!! And may the two of you find peace in the waiting.
(((HUGS)))
Tricia