This year it is packed to spend the holiday weekend away for some family fun...
One of my family's long standing traditions is spending a holiday weekend in Morro Bay. We used to go over President's Day weekend, but now due to schedules and such we go Memorial Day weekend. My parents, my sister's family and us head up the coast and enjoy some down time together. There are no huge plans, but just time together; hanging out, eating good food, shopping, playing games and just being family. I won't lie it is one of my most favorite things to do in the whole world. It is a tradition every year, but it did not happen last year. No one went to Morro Bay, partly because we could not go as Camryn was preparing for transplant in just a few days. But, mainly because no one wanted to go without her...it's a family thing.
The kids are so excited to go and hang out with their cousins who are 24, 22 and 15; but they absolutely are cousins loving on each other. It is fun to spend time with my sister as well; we usually walk to some shops, hang out and spend her birthday enjoying sisterhood. Plus, there is usually always some playoff games to watch as tomorrow night I'm sure my dad will be anxious to watch the Laker game...always a family tradition as well.
One of the things I love most about my family is the sameness, the traditions and the familiarity...I can count on things, like I can count on the sun rising tomorrow. There is a stability unlike any other and I cherish it. We have gone to Morro Bay since my sister was little (she's 17 years older then me) so yes, it's been a part of my life forever and I love that it is a part of my children's life too.
But, more than all that...
I am happy that this suitcase is going to Morro Bay tomorrow instead of UCLA.
I am thrilled that Camryn and Wyatt both will be running around and enjoying life. I am thankful beyond words that a year ago tomorrow Camryn was finishing up radiation and starting chemo to begin the last leg of her conditioning before her and Wyatt's big day.
From there to here...a year has almost come and gone and in so many ways it feels unbelievable. Hard to fathom all that has transpired and all that has been overcome.
From a place of extreme uncertainty to a place of relative calm...even if at times it feels like the ground could still break into a million pieces.
From a place of holding so tightly to now learning to let go...trusting that His hands are better than our own.
Thankful...
Grateful...
Speechless...
Proud...
Excited...
To begin to feel normal in the midst of all that is not...
And trusting Him to hold us through all of it as He does time and time again; from there to here...





2 comments:
Have a great trip! Tell your family hello for me. I can't believe your niece and nephews are so grown up! Next time you are in Morro Bay, I'll have to pop over to see you. It is only 30 minutes from our house. :)
Hugs and love!
Kristi
thankful for where cam is at a year later, always praying as this journey continues...hope you have a wonderful weekend away with your fam!
Post a Comment