So good to be back...
I survived my three day adventure with 90+ 8th grade students. We had a great time, saw lots of sites, enjoyed some really cool museums, ate lots of yummy food and walked a lot! Being with the 8th grade students on this trip was a full taste of normal life...it was nice, but I surely missed my life here at home. But, I did have a few tastes of this life while chatting with Camryn's home health nurse arranging lab draws from 6 hours away, or chatting with the medical delivery guy saying he is on his way to my house. I will say that it's no fun trying to figure out schedules and such from 300 miles away, I'd much rather be right here at home dealing with the ups and downs of this life. Made me very thankful that I do not have a job that calls for travel...that would be really hard.
I must say that I enjoyed chatting with a few of my girls about life, not just what we saw during the day; but life. About my life, what I've gained and what I've learned...realizing that they want to understand their own life while hearing about mine. If there is one thing Camryn's journey has taught me is that I am a better teacher when I am transparent. When I let my students see me...the real me, the highs the lows...all of it. For it is when I let them in that they allow me in, and really that's why I'm a teacher.
One of my girls asked me a question that I still am mulling over and over...never got a chance to properly answer her (we got interrupted), but I plan on answering her once I have an answer. Her question? Mrs. Mikels how is it that you come to work and teach us every day with a smile on your face? Please forgive the paraphrase, but it was roughly 10:30 after a very full day. And I have played that question over and over...
And really I don't know...
Well, I do; because I don't do it. I quite frankly do not have the emotional strength to go to work day after day and teach U.S. History to 80+ students on my own; it's Him. It is the Lord's doing, not mine. So I know that part of the answer, but the part that is challenging me is that they see it...my students see all of it. The good the bad and it challenges me to leave them with more than facts and stories, but leave them with a piece of what really matters.
God's incredibly love for them.
I am thankful, incredibly thankful for the three days spent with a group of students who have watched me walk some dark days and some bright days. I am thankful for the moments that they have given to me. I am thankful for three more weeks that I will spend as their teacher and them my students. And I am thankful that a story of a little six-year-old and three-year-old runs deep in their hearts...because they are a part of that story.
Their part?
Healing a teacher's heart and helping her believe that she can teach again even after having her heart broken...
Thank you my dear 8th graders...
::::::::::::::::
And how did Jason, Camryn and Wyatt do while I was away?
Perfect.
Jason got through Camryn's line changes, flushes, medicines and shots just fine. No better than fine, great! They had a good time together, but as Jason said we just don't feel complete without all four of us together. And I think that is the way it will feel forever.
::::::::::::::::
And this week Camryn reaches day +350...and the calendar is inching closer and closer to June 4th.
And we couldn't be happier...no we couldn't be happier.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment