Being that we cannot venture too far away from home and we must go somewhere with a big hospital very close by just in case our vacation destinations are limited...plus, we really cannot go away too long either. With all those variables combined we opted to sneak in a three day get-a-way to San Diego.
The kids love animals so we thought what better place to go than the San Diego zoo...Jason and I went about seven years ago, but we hoped the kids would just love it. Love it they did. Camryn was especially happy that there were a lot of elephants and "they have a very large habitat." This girl cracks me up! She also enjoyed the reptile house, the bug house and all the other snakes she could find. So not her mother's daughter...I stayed clear of those places! Wyatt loved the zebras and the gorillas, "who put their bottoms in my face!" He could not get over the antics of the gorillas. But, their favorite part?
The giant pandas...both of them loved them so much that they decided their treat would be stuffed pandas! They were in awe since "I've never seen a panda in real life before!" Camryn was amazed as the male panda was chomping away on bamboo and just eating and eating! Wyatt loved the little baby with his mama, yep the little guy was a cutie. Both of the kids loved the pandas, but also every other animal in the entire zoo.
Six hours later...yep, the zoo is that big and that great! We headed to our hotel and hoped that the kids would love it just as much as the zoo.
The hotel was great, right on Mission Bay with lots of views of the marina and the beautiful water! Have I mentioned I love bays? I love water...not necessarily beaches, but I love, love, love cities by the bay! It was amazing, the fresh air, the sea breeze, the beautiful views...I loved it! Not to mention that the hotel and I share the same name...Dana.
Our second day was tons of fun...we decided to rent bikes with a child buggy attachment and headed off for a Mission Bay adventure. What fun we had...the kids giggling, enjoying the beautiful sights and us pedaling away. We rode over to a park and the kids played for a bit and then we headed to get lunch. A nice picnic lunch was in store while we watched boats come and go...fresh air and wonderful company, it was fantastic! Off to the pool we headed with the kids, who now are affectionately named "fishes"...they loved the water and just swam and swam.
Our vacation was wonderful, simply wonderful...
The air was fresh, the views were great and our hearts at peace...it's been a wonderful summer. So completely different from last year and really not quite where we'd love to be either; but for now it is where we are. And for a few days in San Diego our hearts mended a bit.
There are lots of scars and lots of lost dreams, but there are also moments when the sky is so blue and you wonder if the clouds will ever come again...it's almost surreal to let your heart believe that the sky can be blue again and that the storm clouds do cease.
We are hopeful for what is ahead...a few days in San Diego truly brought us hope and after all the last four and a half years have brought hope is a welcome gift.





3 comments:
what a blessing it was to me to see her smiling in the WATER!
I love the last photo of Camyrn. She looks so full of joy and peace. So glad you had a wonderful trip. Many more wonderful days ahead for you all.
Sounds like an amazing trip. So glad that you guys got to get away for a little while and had such a great time.
Post a Comment