Monday, March 29, 2010

mini-vacation, get-away...for good

In honor of our 8th anniversary and my 35th birthday, Jason surprised me a few months ago with a trip to San Francisco booked for this past weekend...it was awesome! I will admit that I love the city by the bay, in fact I love all cities by bays...I love the water, sea sounds and just the atmosphere. It's refreshing to me...

We left on Friday right after work and got up to San Francisco in time to take a walk around Union Square and take in a bit of the city. On Saturday we had decided to spend the day walking and enjoying Union Square and the sights in and around there...what fun we had. Lots of shopping, lots of walking, lots of people watching and lots of time spent together; it was amazing. Jason and I have walked an incredible journey the past four years and it is amazing to just be and be away from all of it for awhile and literally catch our breath.

Saturday night Jason surprised me with tickets to Wicked...we have seen it once before in LA, but I was thrilled to see it again. Oh my goodness it was fantastic and just wonderful. I find it so odd sometimes that my PE teacher hubby enjoys musicals...well, Wicked...he enjoys Wicked. The show was breath-taking and just as grand as the first time...in fact I enjoyed it the second time because I already knew the story so this time I could just enjoy all of it!

On Sunday we headed down to Fisherman's Wharf and the water...I loved it. We walked around, ate amazingly great food, saw lots of sights and again enjoyed time just us. As the day was winding down both of us were getting anxious to head home...honestly, we missed our two little bests just so much. We finally headed home after an hour delay while sitting on the plane on the runaway...yep, it was stellar. Have I told you I hate to fly and am a tad claustrophobic? Yes, I was about at my wits end, literally. We finally landed and we couldn't get home fast enough...but, the Flyaway was being slow and it was packed with the whole men's volleyball team from CSUN. Those of you that know me well know that I love me some men's volleyball, but maybe not the coach and one player talking so incredibly loudly on the bus all the way home. Yeah, I wanted to add my two cents of volleyball wisdom, but opted not too. :)

We finally made it home to two sleepy heads who tried so hard to stay awake to see us...guess they missed us too! Many thanks to my parents who watched the kids...and more so for navigating Camryn's medicines and doing it wonderfully! Thanks Mom and Dad!

Jason and I needed a break...really we needed some time that did not revolve around medicines, shots, line changes. The air was lighter and honestly I felt as though we would be okay. This journey is long, so very long and at times I feel as though it will swallow us alive and after some time away I don't feel the same. I know that there will always be ups and downs, but I believe that sometimes perspective is everything.

As I was sitting in Union Square watching countless people walk by I wondered what their story was...would they ever guess what mine is? I hardly know...but, one thing I do we have been changed. The things we appreciate are greater, we value things differently...yes, a few moments away was nice, but not just for a "break". But for a chance to reflect and remember on all that the Lord has brought us through...and say "thank you".

My favorite song from Wicked...a deep seeded meaning as I reflected on our journey, yes even in the midst of an amazing show...


For Good

I'm limited
Just look at me - I'm limited
And just look at you
You can do all I couldn't do, Glinda
So now it's up to you
For both of us - now it's up to you...

I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good

It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...

Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you

Because I knew you

I have been changed for good

And just to clear the air
I ask forgiveness
For the thing I've done you blame me for

But then, I guess we know
There's blame to share

And none of it seems to matter anymore

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood

Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a bird in the wood

Who can say if I've been
Changed for the better?
I do believe I have been
Changed for the better

And because I knew you...

Because I knew you...

Because I knew you...
I have been changed for good.

~ Wicked

2 comments:

Diana said...

Glad you guys were able to take a breather. Sounds like a wonderful time. Still praying for you all.

Unknown said...

Dana,

i absolutely love that song and the message it conveys! How fun for you guys to get away!