Friday, May 29, 2009

done...

WooHoo...Radiation is done!!!

Camryn finished up her radiation treatments tonight...it would be a huge understatement to say we are proud of her. We are so incredibly proud that we are planning on surprising her with a little something tomorrow, just to let her know that she's incredible. Simply amazing.

One of the reasons that we are so proud of Camryn is that most five-year-olds are not able to lay still for 30 minutes without moving to receive treatment. Camryn had total body radiation as part of her conditioning treatment to prepare for transplant. Not only did Camryn have to lay still she was alone in a room, that honestly is scary. Radiation is not the most kid friendly atmosphere. Camryn laid on a bed and then the techs molded a air like cushion around her so that she wouldn't fall off the table...while a giant machine beamed radiation beams on her entire body to kill her leukemia cells and also prepare her body for transplant.

Some of the side effects are vomiting and fatigue...both of which I'm happy to say Camryn has not dealt with...she's been doing great. Her doctors are amazed at her and very proud of her..."there is something special about Camryn." We've heard this statement a few times...

And we could not be more proud.

Tomorrow starts chemo and that will be the next step...the next bridge if you will. And we will continue to pray that the Lord protects her...that He would be next to her and hold her so very close. Every time I walked out of the radiation room with my little girl strapped to a table I prayed...

Lord,

She was yours before she was mine...Please hold her tight...Please be near her as I cannot hold her now...Hold her, never let her go.

And He hasn't yet.

And He hasn't let go of Wyatt either...because daily I pray for him as He walks this journey too. Hard to believe he was so little the first time...I know that I will struggle when they wheel him into surgery and I'm sure that the same prayer will be on my lips...

Trusting our children to Him...Holding them loosely as they are gifts...and not one day was promised.

4 comments:

Karen said...

glad this part is done. Praying for you and yours this day...

InDeeds said...

Congrats on being done with radiation! Still sending lots of prayers your way!

Becky said...

I don't comment often, but check in on a regular basis - just wanted you to know that you're all in my prayers! You have two amazing children. May God bless them both richly.

Anonymous said...

What a gift from our loving Father they (Camylyn and Wyatt) have in a mum and a dad like you! So many peaople are praying for you and praising God for the trust, faith and courage that you've shown through this trial. You are all in His hands and He will never let you go.

Love, Evah Odoi (Maryville, TN).