Thursday, September 17, 2009

so much for once a month...

You know when Camryn's doctors said that we only need to see you once a month, a month ago I should have knocked on wood. We have not made it a week without a trip to UCLA for either clinic or for meds at the pharmacy.

Today was yet another trip. Since the doctors upped Camryn's meds on Tuesday we have been flying through our steroids, therefore we needed a refill and since we aren't going back until Monday waiting was not an option. Honestly, Jason and I are trying like mad to figure out a good schedule on Camryn's meds and their refills, but it seems to be a tougher task than we figured. We have yet to succeed. We've contemplated refilling them at our local pharmacy, but last time around we had some trouble with the pharmacy not carrying certain things and ordering and lots of waiting. For now while Camryn has lots of meds we've opted to stay with UCLA just because we know they carry what Camryn needs. And quite frankly last time around I got the twenty question Inquisition at the pharmacy about why my child had so many doctors prescribing meds and why my child had to take so many antibiotics long term. I know they were doing their job, but it got old really fast having to explain over and over that she had a bone marrow transplant and that she was immuno suppressed. At UCLA we don't get those million questions...in fact the pharmactist today was very helpful and I'm thankful.

We got down to the pharmacy and I noticed that there had been a change in Camryn's prescription for her steroid. I know I'm hyper-sensitive to anything having to do with Cam's meds so I questioned it. The pharmactist was great and explained it to me and I still didn't quite know if that was going to be okay as Camryn's doctors were playing with that medication. I knew that there was afternoon clinic on Thursdays and I figured I could catch someone at clinic who could check it out or at least call someone and see if the new prescription would be okay. I ran over to clinic while Jason moved the car and who happened to be there, but Dr.M.:) I was thrilled.

I asked Dr.M about Camryn's meds and he confirmed that it would be okay and in fact the new med is a bit stronger which will be good especially with the higher dose for the liver enzymes. Dr.M then went on the assure me about Camryn's rash and his perspective of it, that it was an answer to prayer. He told me that when Dr.S had emailed him to tell him about the rash he replied with "Yay!", really? We talked some more and he said that the GVH is key for Camryn's recovery and that we want the signs.

As I finished talking with Dr.M and said good-bye, I turned and walked down a hallway I've walked hundreds of times and I felt hopeful. Felt that the road we were walking even if lined with tons of meds, a rash and just some crazy side-effects really pales in comparison with ever walking the leukemia journey again.

As Jason and I were driving home Jason said, "seems pretty providential that you got to see Dr.M this week...that you got to hear for yourself his assurance for you. Seems like God wanted you to see Dr.M today..." And it does...

And I'm thankful...so even though I'm tired of driving down to UCLA more than once a week...the Lord keeps reminding me that even in the littlest of things He is there.

So much for once a month...the Lord reminds me moment by moment that He is with us.

4 comments:

rameelin said...

All of your posts have been so uplifting lately. I have been praying in hope with you about Camryn's rash. I honestly cant imagine the questions that must go through your mind each time something changes with her, but you have inspired so much strength within my spirit! I hope you know that. Camryn's journey is touching many and giving them hope of tomorrow!

Katie said...

There's always a reason for the inconveniences it seems :o)
So glad that the GVH is there and is a GOOD sign and that you got to see see Dr. M for the reassurance you needed.
Hope you have a great weekend! We are supposed to get some sunshine after a week of rain (unheard of this time of year in my part of Texas!!)
Katie :o)

Lost in Space said...

I can't begin to even imagine what it is like to walk in your shoes, Dana, but you do it with such beautiful grace and a thankfulness in the little things that so many would overlook...

I was at UCLA again yesterday too! I'm more than happy to pick up meds for you if I can. Just drop me an email and we can figure out the rest. I have to be there every week anyway. (-;

Jessika Kerry said...

Reading this last post, I was just overcome with emotion. It's hard to say even what emotion. I am so glad for God's blessing of the GVH and that you got to see the right doctor. But I am also so sad that you, Jason, Wyatt, and that sweet little girl of yours have to go through so much. The Lord is good and will show you His plan.