Every year for the past oh 43 years my parents have made the trip to Morro Bay, California...they started going after my dad had been ill, really ill as in almost passed away. Those days were dark ones for my dad, mom, and sister and Morro Bay became a place they could go on a family vacation as they were not able to go too far away. And now 43 years later we still go, oh I was added to the trip 36 years ago...
And as the family has grown with the additions of my brother-in-law, nephews, niece, my husband, and my own children we have continued the tradition; only to miss one year. That year was two years ago when our family was dealing with illness again and a little girl was receiving her brother's bone marrow. Our family decided not to go as they felt it would not be the same without Camryn...in fact on Sunday morning while at breakfast my nephew Josh said, "we never could come without you Camryn, it wouldn't be right, it would never be the same." So we go...and in that we share our family traditions with each other.
Our trip is structured around traditions, things that we have always done...my parents are probably the most traditional people I know. They love the sameness of things, they do not thrive on adventure, they love what they know and what they enjoy. That being said we go to Morro Bay each year just about the same way, knowing what we'll do...oh we've changed a few things along the way, but for the most part it's traditional and we enjoy it.
On Saturday morning we headed up the coast for a wonderful weekend away. We enjoyed the shops, the fun at the aquarium, the seals, otters, dolphins, and the yummy food. The weekend was truly fantastic.
The kids loved playing Phase 10 with their cousins as well as my parents...there were lots of card games throughout the weekend. We hung out and shared family time, it was a treasure.
I am so very thankful for traditions, things that as my kids grow up they learn to expect and count on. Things that provide a sense of what is to come and fun to look forward to. I find that sometimes in the fast-paced life that we all live we get lost in the newness of things, changes, and constantly doing and doing...sometimes we miss the little traditions along the way. There is really nothing overly exciting about Morro Bay in that it's not Disneyland, but it is time with family and that what my kids are learning to appreciate with every trip to Morro Bay.
I enjoy watching my kids anticipate and wait for something that I did as a kid as well...I always counted down the days to Morro Bay because it meant fun, family time...a time to just be.
The timing of Morro Bay this year was perfect...funny how the Lord always does that. I needed a few days away to catch my breath...to relax and just enjoy a slower pace. The school year is quickly coming to a close and it is busy...grading, finals, and just the year end activities. And right in the midst of that...a trip to my favorite place...the Central Coast.
Some times we see the Lord in the littlest of things and I felt Him this weekend as I found peace and a moment to breathe and I am thankful.
I'll post pictures soon...but, for now I am thankful for the traditions that my parents have passed to me and we are passing to our kids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment