Wednesday, July 14, 2010

fourteen months later...

Today we made our second trip down to UCLA, yep two days in a row! We met with Dr.P the cardiologist to discuss possible options for Camryn's clot...our fingers were crossed that Lovenox shots would no longer be on the list.

As we talked with Dr.P we gained some insights on Camryn's clot:

* the clot hasn't really changed at all.

* the clot is very close to the line.

* the clot is in the right side of Camryn's heart, meaning that if it broke off it would go to her lung, which is much better that the left side...which is the aorta and goes everywhere in your body.

* the clot is a concern, but not a major one

* that the doctors had all talked regarding treatment, did I tell you I really love Camryn's care at UCLA

And last but certainly not least...

Camryn is no longer on Lovenox shots! Yes, after fourteen months of nightly shots in her poor little thighs tonight there was no shot.

As we talked with Dr.P he said that he would talk to Camryn's surgeon further and the hope is that when Camryn's line is removed that the clot would come with it. He said that the plan is for Camryn to have an echo after surgery to check and see if the clot is gone or if it moved.

If the clot is gone...no more worries.

If the clot is still there...Camryn is put on baby aspirin and the clot is monitored by Dr.P.

But, Lovenox shots will not be an option then.

Dr.P said he felt badly for Camryn having to be on the shots so long, he really did not feel that continuing them at this point is necessary. Basically he felt that stopping them now (which we would have to stop them before surgery anyways) would be the best option for Camryn. I was very impressed with Dr.P, not just because he gave us the news we longed to hear, but rather because he cared. He had spoken with Camryn's doctors and made the comment, "that she probably doesn't need another doctor." with a smile, but I will gladly add Dr.P to our team.

While Dr.P was talking Camryn was quietly drawing and I didn't know if she was comprehending what he was saying. When we got on the elevator I asked, "Camryn do you know what Dr.P said?" To which she coyly responded with a little grin "no". I said, "he said no more shots...". And I wish at that moment you could have seen the million dollar smile...yep, she was walking on cloud nine as we walked to the car. Giddy as ever, smiling...

The best line...

"Mommy, I'm glad the doctor said no more shots, because they hurt. A lot."

After giving my baby girl shots night after night for fourteen months I cannot tell you the relief of not doing that again. It is a huge weight, a huge relief, a huge praise!

I told Jason I think this step will matter in a huge way for Camryn...because it is a tangible, significant one. She gets this...no more emla, no more alarm to remind me to get the shot out of the fridge, no more ice pack...

No more shots...

3 comments:

Amee said...

Woohoo!! Such a praise, so excited for cam!!

Devon said...

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you know i'm jumping up and down for camryn and you to!

one more step in the right direction :)

Anonymous said...

praise God for this wonderful news! i'm so happy for camryn.

i'll be praying surgery goes well in the morning.

kara