Last night I did it...I actually went to the class for parents where I teach. I will honestly say that I was nervous, anxious and seriously considered just not going. I know, it's just a class right?
Jason lovingly encouraged me to go and see...give it one week.
I did...and I will be going back.
For so much of Camryn's journey and Wyatt's journey I have felt quite literally like a fish out of water. Like I really don't fit too many places, that there are many social situations that are very awkward for me. I knew this would be one of those...
I tire of telling our story at times...I have to tell it a lot and sometimes I would rather just drift into the background and be a no one. After all that is what my life feels like a lot of times...that no one really sees what is taking place within our family of four. That the struggles are there where Camryn's labs are great or bad...that this is a journey and quite frankly we are no where near the end.
I walked into the room and swallowed hard, thankfully the teacher of the class is a friend of mine who knows Camryn's story and understands the dreams delayed that we are living through. As parents were chatting before the class, I found myself wanting to run away...what do I say, "My daughter was supposed to be in kindergarten...she had leukemia...bone marrow transplant."? Yes, that is exactly what I said when a mom turned to me and said, "What room is your child in?". I smiled and very politely and very tactfully explained where my daughter was...and you know what? For the first time in a long time I didn't feel weird, I didn't feel completely out of it...the mom smiled and said, "I am so sorry...I will stop complaining about my life...". We went on to chat for a minute and then my friend picked on me to introduce myself first...so I did.
I am Dana Mikels. I teach 8th grade History here at Village and my daughter Camryn should be in kindergarten here, but she had leukemia and a bone marrow transplant and our hope is for her to be here in first grade. So, Mrs.V invited me to come and get a head start on this program...
To which Mrs.V replied, "We've been praying for our little sweetie Camryn and we cannot wait until she is here with us."
And that was it...I survived. I breathed deeply the rest of the night, interacted and learned and felt very much like a bit of myself was returning.
At the end of the class we closed in prayer and after the Amen was said one of the Dad's said, "and pray for healing for Camryn." And one mom said..."I hope Camryn and my son can be classmates in first grade."
Really? These were complete strangers to me and yet they reached out to me in very tangible ways...ways that meant so much.
Yes, it was a class...but the Lord provided some huge healing for me.
Thanks for the prayers and encouragement...I so needed it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





8 comments:
Praise God!
so awesome...i'm glad it went better than you expected and i am so thankful to know that God met you there last night...
((hugs))
I am so thankful for those parents that added to that prayer. I was tearing up reading that. God is good to give you such encouragement.
So awesome, such a praise.
oh, this post made me cry. it is wonderful that this group was so supportive. i am praying that camryn will be in first grade at village next year and that she will be fully healed. sending you hugs.
Further proof that God is there with you every step of the way. I am glad that this was such a good experience for you and that you were brave enough to go.
Katie :o)
Hi, Dana, I just thought it was so cute to hear that Camryn named her lumens. So sweet. What a little personality. I can't wait to see pictures of her first day of school next year when she is feeling good and this whole thing is long forgotten. I imagine long hair and a grin missing two top teeth. That's so awesome that she gets to spend her days with her Grandparents. What a blessing to have them available. Until then, I am glad that everyone is being supportive and understanding. Is Camryn going to Friday clinic today? I hope and pray that all is well and that the liver enzyme situation and the blood clot situation are resolved very soon! Take care! -Holly
This brought tears to my eyes, Dana. You have such strength and courage to put yourself out there even when you didn't feel up to it and I'm happy the response was warm and encouraging. Beautiful.
Post a Comment