Tuesday, August 4, 2009

day +61...two months since...

Transplant...can you believe it?!

We can't quite wrap our minds around it...seriously two months ago we lived quite possibly one of the hardest days of our lives...and now? Now, I'm sitting on the couch listening to Camryn *read* a magazine to Wyatt, honestly...too hilarious. Camryn just said, "Why aren't these words in Spanish? I can read Spanish." She then breaks into uno, dos, tres...really, who know that two transplants later she'd be bilingual?

Camryn and Jason headed down to clinic today as it was my day off from clinic. We are trying to take turns as it's a nice break, plus it keeps both of us in the loop of Camryn's care. I got a call from Jason at 9:00am saying they were already done, honestly he gets the fastest clinic days ever...I'm not jealous or anything.

Dr. A saw Camryn today and said that she looks great! Jason talked with him about the fact that we have not yet seen a lot of GVH since Camryn went off of the cyclosporin. Dr. A said that some still could be going on, just to watch her and they'll keep an eye on everything. So thankful for Camryn's doctors...they are just the best!

Jason also touched base with the school coordinator at UCLA who helps with the school issues for the patients. We have officially signed up for LAUSD's medical home school program. LAUSD will send us all the curriculum and a teacher will be assigned to us and will come to our home to teach Camryn. Basically the teacher will be responsible for the whole coordination of things...we are very anxious to get this all figured out. Today was very encouraging hearing that UCLA will continue to help us navigate this road.

While Jason and Camryn were at clinic I ran over to visit with my sister-in-law Devon...I am happy to say that Devon is still pregnant and we are hopeful she will be until at least September. It was very nice to sit and chat with her about life and just things. I will admit it's hard to see Devon there...hard to see anyone in the hospital, just too many memories...I've really come to have bittersweet feelings about hospitals. But for today I was thankful that our sweet niece is still growing and developing in her mommy's tummy...and that's pure sweetness!

Later this afternoon Dr. A called to let us know that Camryn's labs looked great...He said that we have a good graft as her hemoglobin and platelets continue to come up on their own. He also said that her biocarb levels where finally in normal range...we'll keep nagging her about drinking and keep her hydrated.

These two months have been a whirlwind of various emotions, struggles and joys. We have grown and come to appreciate things that are easily taken for granted. Today the Bible study I'm doing focused on Psalms 121...I love that Psalm, always have ever since I memorized it for a speech meet in fourth grade.

Anyways...the Psalm is beautiful, but right in the middle is the most beautiful part...

I lift up my eyes to the hills -
from where will my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
who made heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved;
he who keeps you will not slumber.
He who keeps Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord is your keeper;
the Lord is your shade at your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day,
nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all evil;
he will keep your life.
The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in
from this time on and forevermore.

~Psalm 121 (RSV)

The Lord is our keeper...He keeps us...He holds us...He protects us while we're on this journey we call life. Our lives are difficult, rough and down right painful at times...and He keeps us still.

Matthew 10:28, Christ said, "Don't fear those who kill the body but are not able to kill the soul". I'm human just like you, and these words can seem like small consolation as we travel this dangerous turf. But when our eyes are truly opened and we see all the ways hell rose against us, the Devil wanted us, and God hid us in the shadow of His wings, we will drop on our knees and worship the Maker of heaven and earth. ~ Beth Moore

4 comments:

Claire said...

What a wonderful family you are! Praying still.

Cxx

Diana said...

Glad things are going so well. We will continue to pray for all of you!

rameelin said...

Beautiful post today! So thankful for day 61! Have been praying with you all on this journey for Camryn and am just amazed at God's faithfulness to grace and mercy. His hand is upon you all and the plan for Camryn's life is so great! It's obvious that her purpose will be life changing to many others! You've made me want to do a study on Psalms, as my husband is a worship leader and we love diving into anything we can learn about how to worship the King even more! Always praying for your family...
Ramee, IL

Katie said...

This week seems to have flown by for me, every time I have started trying to leave you a comment it hasnt happened! Have been thinking about you all though and what a lot you have going on with home school and your sister in law in hospital. Wow Jason and his brother are alike!! I meant to say that the other week!
I loved your story about Camryn reading to Wyatt - the things they say!!
Have a great weekend,
Katie :o)