Tuesday, August 9, 2011

{like} home...

It's Tuesday...

Yep, a clinic visit was on the schedule for today and since Jason and I are both off work we decided to both go with Camryn. Maybe it was the fact that we both needed/wanted to hear the words we are still celebrating..."Camryn can go to real school."

We made it down to clinic in great time, said our usual "hellos" and headed to our usual spot. For some reason today Camryn looked really grown-up to me...maybe it's the fact that the chair the kids sit in to get their vitals used to look huge when Camryn was two and now the chair fits her. It is weird to be traveling the same halls month after month for the past 58 months. While we waited in the eerily quiet clinic, Camryn drew pictures and enjoyed having both her mommy & daddy with her. In a few minutes Dr.B came in to do our initial check-up...everything looked great. We talked about medicines, therapy, immunizations, and school...all conversations that we haven't had in a long time, wait never. A few minutes later Dr.M came in...Camryn's face lit up, like it always has since she was two. Not sure there is a doctor in the world who means as much to a seven-year-old. She loves him.

Dr.M congratulated Camryn on getting to go to school...he said that her immunity cells looked great. In fact she has a large number of helper cells the kind he was hopeful to find...and those are the magic that allow Camryn to go to school. He said they would go down on her tacrolimus and then start working on getting some of the other medicines down in the next few months. We were also given a list of immunizations that are okay for her to begin...this is great news! Not to great for Camryn as she has started the immunization process when she was a baby, again at 4, and now again at 7...yikes! But, we are so thankful...so thankful.

Camryn's appointment went super...the lab draw went great and then we had to wait a little while for her prescription to be filled. So we walked over to the "big" hospital. As we were walking over Camryn said, "I spent a lot of nights in this building...". Yes, you have...almost enough to be home. Not really, but in a way UCLA feels {like} home.

I won't lie I had a knot in my stomach today, guess I was waiting for the shoe to drop, for the doctors to say they'd changed their minds and she could not go to school. I know I should think positive...but, it's hard and it is a battle.

But, I am thankful that the battle happens at a place I know so well...

So after we got home and picked up Wyatt we went shoe shopping for school...yep, it was fantastic.

It's really happening...

And in an odd way there will always be a piece of us at UCLA, no matter how well Camryn gets.

2 comments:

Sara said...

So so happy for Camryn and or you too. Kisses and prayers from Italy. Sara.

cheryl said...

Grandpa and Grandma are so excited for you Camryn. Looking forward to all the stories. I am also so full of joy that there is a whole community of people at UCLA that love our little girl, and are as excited for her as we are. We are blessed to have them as part of our "family" Go Camryn!!!!! oh and don't forget the Wy-man...he will also have MANY stories as well. Yeah Camryn, Yeah Wyatt, Thank you God!